Schvrmmmmmmm! That’s the sound of the lightsabres that will inevitably be playing in your mind at the very mention of the Star Wars epic film saga. This worldwide movie phenomenon currently totals 11 blockbusting films, with one final instalment (Episode 9) set to be released in December 2019.
1977, 1980, 1983, 1999, 2002, 2005, 2015, 2016 2017, 2018 and 2019 (upcoming)
Gross Box Office
$4,564,018,135 (combined, including originals and re-releases)
Oh, everywhere. Tunisia, Italy, the UK, Thailand, China, Switzerland, the USA, Norway, Bolivia, Croatia, the Maldives, Ireland and the United Arab Emirates.
Landmarks and Locations
- Skellig Michael, Ireland – Luke Skywalker’s home in The Last Jedi
- Ajim, Tunisia – The desert planet Tatooine
- Hôtel Sidi Driss, Tunisia – The Lars Homestead, Luke Skywalker’s childhood home
- Rub' al Khali desert, A.K.A. “The Empty Quarter”, the United Arab Emirates – The planet Jakku
- Hardangerjøkulen Glacier, Norway – Snowy opening battle scene in The Empire Strikes Back
Why You Should Visit
It will take you quite a while to hit all the famous filming locations of the Star Wars film saga, but we can’t think of a better life goal. Ireland saw a 13% increase in overseas visits after the release of The Force Awakens, while Southern Tunisia has become something of a Mecca for dedicated Star Wars fans, with four of the films having been partially filmed there. With filming locations spanning across the globe, you’re in for quite the adventure with a Star Wars road trip.