Mamma Mia! series
Combine ABBA’s most upbeat hits, an all-star cast and paradisaical Greek island locations and you’ve got one almighty movie triumph. When the first of these sun-drenched musicals, Mamma Mia!, danced onto our screens in 2008, it became one of the highest-grossing films and fastest-selling DVDs of all time. And, after Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again followed it 10 years later, the franchise became one of the best-loved in the world; it’s not hard to see why.
Gross Box Office
$730.47 million (combined)
Skopelos, Skiathos and Pelion in Greece and Vis in Croatia
Landmarks and Locations
- Kastani Beach, Skopelos – Where Tanya sings Does Your Mother Know and where Sophie and Sky sing Lay All Your Love on Me
- Nisi Glisteri, Skopelos – The filming location for the departure of the wedding party. At a nearby cliff you’ll also find the spot where Sophie, Bill, Harry and Sam sang Our Last Summer, before jumping into the water from the rocks
- Agios Ioannis sto Kastri (Saint John at the castle), Skopelos – The filming location for the wedding scenes in Mamma Mia!
- Damouhari Mouresi, Pelion – Filming location where Meryl Streep dances down to the harbour singing Dancing Queen
- Vis, Croatia – Filming location for the fictional Greek island of Kalokairi, featured in the sequel Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again
Why You Should Visit
If you haven’t visited Greece yet, make your love for the Mamma Mia! franchise your excuse for a trip very soon. Many of the Greek islands, and the beautiful Skopelos in particular, enjoyed an enormous surge in tourism popularity after the release of the films, now referred to as “The Mamma Mia! Effect”. If you’re dreaming of glistening white pebble beaches, azure blue waters and elegant white-washed buildings without all the hubbub and noise of some of the more mainstream islands, take a trip to Skopelos and find your very own Mamma Mia! paradise.